bBox is a free plugin for FileMaker from Beezwax. Beezwax just announced version 0.63:
bBox FileMaker external plug-in is a toolbox of functions freely available to all developers. Use it to extend the reach of your Mac OS X-based FileMaker solutions to programs, code libraries, or OS X functions that are normally outside your reach.
Consisting of more than 22 powerful functions, bBox extends the reach of FileMaker’s existing commands, and adds completely new functionality. This makes it easier to get your projects done, and without the need for ugly workarounds to provide functionality that should be simple...
What can I do with bBox?
- run Perl, PHP, AppleScript, shell, Python and Ruby scripts
- extract email or phone numbers from text
- check if a file is present
- parse XML with XPath based queries
- strip duplicate values from a return-delimited list
- present a dialog asking user to select a file or choose from a list of values
- determine if a needed type of data is in the clipboard
- execute a command requiring admin authentication
- schedule execution of scripts down to the millisecond
- and more!
Included in the download is an extensive demo file showing these techniques and more.
You'll find, as a FileMaker developer, that there are times you need to reach out beyond FileMaker to other systems, such as operating systems, other languages, etc. That is when you will turn to plugins. Thankfully, there are plenty of high quality plugins out there to help.
beezwax > products > bbox filemaker plugin.